- Install 64-bit Windows 8 Pro on a 64-bit Intel/AMD system. You need at least 4 GB of RAM for most of these tools to be useful and the more RAM you have, the better. There is no support for
- Windows 8 "core" or Windows 8 RT,
- 32-bit Windows, or
- Older versions of Windows.
- Install R 3.0.1 (or later). Older versions of R are not supported.
- Download the R Windows installer from http://cran.r-project.org/bin/windows/base/R-3.0.1-win.exe.
- Right-click on the downloaded installer file and select 'Run as administrator'. Install the 64-bit R. De-select the '32-bit files' component unless you know what you're doing. Having both 64-bit and 32-bit R on your system will most likely just confuse you.
- Browse to 'https://raw.github.com/znmeb/CompJournWin8Pro/master/install-base.R'. Do a 'Save page as' or right-click on the link and do 'Save link as'. Your browser should save a file called 'install-base.R'.
- Typing hints:
- Copy and paste from a web page to the R or RStudio console windows works!
- Tab completion works in the R or RStudio console window. Try typing the first part of a command or file name and pressing 'Tab'.
- Line editing works - up-arrow for previously entered lines, down-arrow if you go back too far, left and right arrows within a line.
- Right-click on the desktop icon for the 64-bit R application and select 'Run as administrator'. R will start. In the 'File' menu, select 'Source R code' and open the file you saved.
- Select a CRAN mirror close to you.
- The script will download and install most of the software for the workbench. In most cases, the defaults should be used in the installers, and you'll need to accept licenses in some cases. Exceptions are noted below. You can ignore any warnings.
- In the MikTeX installer
- Select the 64-bit version by entering '2'
- In the 'Settings' dialog, you probably want the preferred paper size to be 'Letter' rather than 'A4'.
- In the LyX installer:
- Select option '2' even if you haven't installed LyX before.
- In the 'Choose Components' dialog, pick any dictionaries or thesauruses you want. You get a few dictionaries by default.
- When all the installs have finished, go into the 'File' menu and select 'Exit'. You do not need to save the workspace image.
- Start RStudio. On the 'Packages' tab, check the box next to 'installr'. That should load the 'installr' library.
Go to the 'Console' window and type
- In the 'Select Components' screen, accept the defaults.
- In the 'Adjusting your PATH environment' screen, select the bottom option: 'Run Git and included Unix tools from the Windows command prompt'. This is required for RStudio to find the Git tools.
- In the 'Configuring the line ending conversions' screen, select the default (first) option.
Open an issue at https://github.com/znmeb/CompJournWin8Pro/issues/new if anything is broken, unclear, etc.